Saturday, February 26, 2011

Loved these insights from a reader.....

I think of myself wanting to be able to enjoy what ever is happening in my life without restriction and missing out.

Some of the principles in [your] book really spoke to me about this. First is that dieting hardly ever deals with the emotional decisions we make. It teaches us to cut them off, disregard them and follow a system. It tells us we shouldn't choose our foods with emotions and therefore when we do, we are telling ourselves we did something wrong.

But it isn't true is it?


We are emotional, we do make decisions based on our experiences. So instead of trying to tame our inner wild child, we should just celebrate our desires by eating what ever it is that we want, but eating it in a portion size that supports our weight loss.

[You are] also quite clear about respecting your own health restrictions and 'whispering' within those and that as you get to know your body better, as your mind moves from feeling restricted, you will begin to find your body's own health preferences.

I've found that by allowing myself to eat whatever I want, I'm making some different choices. They are mostly around social activities [where ordinarily] I would have either fought with myself through to not eat what I wanted, punished myself afterwards with guilt [if I had eaten what I wanted] or avoided altogether (which has lead me to think about how much I've cut myself off from having fun).


- TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment